If you have climbed at the Red River Gorge and want to check out another close-by climbing location then the Breaks is a great change of scenery. The Breaks Interstate Park recently opened to climbing in 2015, and offers a unique & adventurous feel. This park consists of a deep gorge cut by the Russel Fork River that has 100-foot sandstone cliffs offering single pitch sport or trad climbing. The Breaks is located near Pikeville, KY approximately 2 hours east of the Red River Gorge.
- Give us a call to make a reservation. Reservations are required.
- If you are a new client, we ask you to complete a 6 question form. We review your form and prepare the best trip that we can for you, based on your needs and desires.
- Two days prior your trip must be paid in full & your Southeast instructor will contact you with itinerary, equipment list, and to answer any questions you may have.
- Check in at the Breaks Interstate Park visitor center. Use 627 Commission Cir, Haysi, VA 24256 for directions. Please arrive 10 minutes prior to go over equipment and complete waivers with the instructor.
- Enjoy climbing & learning the rest of the day. You will drive in your personal vehicle from the visitor center to parking for climbing. Expect approximately 5 minutes of driving time and 15-20 minutes of hiking time. All trips are private –just you, anyone else you’ve reserved in your group, and your AMGA certified instructor!
Where to Stay: If you are making more than a day trip, the Breaks Interstate Park has a lodge and several cabins on the park property. There is also a campground with full RV hookups and bathhouse. Check out www.breakspark.com for more info.